Monday, August 19, 2013

Here's the situation

I learned recently that Triggers don't have to be a sensory experience- they can be situational too. I didn't really understand exactly how that worked until I went to the pool with my little boy on Saturday. At first, I thought I would be anxious because of all the bikini teens hanging out wanting to impress the  tweeny bopper boys. But I wasn't. I've been trying to figure out why, and I think it's because my husband wasn't there with us. So, it seems, in my case, I usually only get triggered when I am around both a visual stimulus (billboards/beach babes/runners) when my husband is around- if he's not, I don't even seem to notice them- kind of like when I was single and didn't know him yet or know really anything about sexual addiction.

I realized that I am VERY hypersensitive whenever he is around- always watching who/what is around to trigger him, and then I become a hovercraft, just waiting to see him look twice. Like I did here.

SOOO, I am here writing on my blog, and adding a new bottom line- cue the fanfare. So here is my new bottom line and bill of right to go with it:

I have the right to be around my husband in public without being afraid of getting hurt.

If I am out in public with my husband, and start to feel myself obsessing about who/what could be around to trigger him, I will remove myself from the situation, and call a group member. Then, once we get home, I will do 1 item from my self care list, so that I can re-fill my emotional bucket.

Now, that wasn't so hard! Well... writing it wasn't so hard, I am going to work extra hard this week to implement it, and I will report my progress back to this little blog of mine. 

2 comments:

  1. I totally get you :) I am triggered only when I am with my husband. I am getting better at it, but it can still be hard.

    I like your bill of rights. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sparrow! I appreciate your feedback!

      Delete