Sunday, February 8, 2015

Post-Vomit

I like to think of the posts like my last post as vomit sessions, where I just get out everything and anything that I am thinking/feeling. It is so good for me! I sometimes feel bad for anyone who is reading it because I don't know if my thoughts are connected in any way. 

Being honest with myself in that last post enabled me to be honest with J. I told him how I was feeling and not feeling and he was really hurt and-at first- angry. As usual, he didn't see it coming- and I think it surprised him just as much as I was surprised when I realized just how far my trauma response to pain had taken me.

It was a very painful conversation. He told me that I needed to do what I needed to do. I told him I felt like him saying that was looking for a way out. I explained to him what a day in the life of flashbacks and triggers are like for me. We cried. I told him everything that I had thought: that all I wanted was for him to fight for me. At first he shut down and needed time to process it. I gave it to him. He came back and told me that he didn't think that this is the beginning of the end- that this is like half-time. We just need some good pep-talks and strategies so we can get back in the game- back on the same team and then get back on the court and back in the game. 

Sports analogies. I guess they really speak to me- maybe I've seen "Remember the Titans," but I saw something in his eyes that I hadn't seen in a long time- desire to make this work. And instead of ignoring the conversation the next day, HE brought it up- and HE asked me on a date- and found a babysitter-and made it amazing. We talked about our individual recoveries and I heard some of the things that he had been doing and not telling me. We worked on our schedule so we can actually do our work- dailies, self-care and bottom-lines every day. We talked about therapy and when we can fit it in. 

Crazy.

Granted, I know that it is mostly just talk right now- I am going to remain skeptical until I see some action, but this is the most progress J and I have made collectively as a team in more than 4 months! Progress!

I've been alive long enough to know that there will be ups and downs in the game of life- there are in every game. There are fumbles and interceptions and sometimes you sprain your ankle and are out of the game for a little bit. But this halftime pep-talk and game planning gives me hope and I am feeling a new energy about recovery.

Put me in Coach!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear the positivity! Yay for happy days. But like you, I post-vomit. And I always think, "well this isn't going to help anyone!" But ya know what? Oh well! These kinds of blogs are meant to get the emotional vomit out there and move on. I'm really sooooo glad things are going well.

    ReplyDelete